Thursday, May 31, 2012

BACKWOODS BUCKTOOTH FILES #1

I pick on religion. I think it deserves it. In fact, I think it deserves all of the respect it gives to the people it condemns with no evidence but faith and a book. But from time to time I get a little ahead of myself and neglect to offer complete explanations and omit various necessary exemptions and clarifications. So without any further ado I’d like to offer these as explanations of my religious worldview and from henceforth in all religious discussions or writings these shall be assumed: *

1. There are good people within all religions. Attacks on religion are an attack on the institution, not generally the individuals within it. Though individuals do, at times, warrant a bitch slapping.

2. There are decent religions/denominations. However, the more “liberalized” religions and even more liberal individuals within conservative religions are a product of intellectual progression. They exist because people have allowed their life experiences to alter their biblical views—the mark of a person who has evolved beyond caveman status.
                     
*This list is not all inclusive. I may add or subtract at any time. I’m human and, thus, reserve the right to change my mind.

 So now that that’s out of the way, on with the religious smackdown…

This is why I believe firmly that religion is dependent upon the brainwashing of children in order to survive through time—


I don’t hate these people. No, these people aren’t to be hated. These people should be pitied. They’re a product of the same child abuse they’re now passing down to the children in their congregation. This is sad and this is why religion causes so much suffering in our world. Maybe that little boy in the video will grow up and realize that he’s gay. Imagine his suffering when he has to try to resolve what he knows intuitively about who he is with what he’s been brought up to believe.  

This is one of the saddest and most despicable videos I’ve watched in recent times. Bigots are not born, they’re raised.

Matthew 18: 5-6
            “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be downed in the depths of the sea.”

And Jesus wept…

1 comment: